Neck pain is most of the time normal condition which can be relieved in few days only. While in some case neck pain is chronic when it is caused by serious injury or illness.
Neck is structured from vertebrae, cervical disks, bones ligaments and muscles so any injuries or inflammation can cause neck pain or stiffness. If neck pain continues more than 5-7 days or it is severe or it is accompanied by other symptoms kindly seek for medical attention immediately.
Neck Pain or stiffness or muscle strain is caused by poor posture, working in the same posture for long hours, jerk, bad neck position while sleeping, normal wear and tear or overuse of muscles. Sometimes it is caused by injury from sports or accidents or whiplash.
Neck is more vulnerable to injury like car accidents, falls, sports where the neck muscles are forced to move out of their range. The neck can be dislocated or fractured by sudden jerk of the head – whiplash. Neck injury might cause damage to spine also.
Diseases and conditions which cause Neck Pain are as below.
- Arthritis: Arthritis can cause pain when it occurs in neck area it causes chronic pain.
- Osteoporosis: it can cause damage and fractures to bones making them more fragile and brittle.
- Fibromyalgia: It causesmuscle pain throughout the body.
- Spondylitis: As we age this disks degenerates and adds stress to the joints which add stress to joint.
- Spinal Stenosis: In this condition spinal column narrows down which causes pressure on spinal cord which creates arthritis in long term and causes pain in neck.
Neck Pain Relief for minor pain:
For minor neck pain;
- Hot and cold press therapy
- Ibuprofen or acetaminophen can also help ease the pain.
- Rest for few days.
- Do exercise under proper guidance.
- Correct your posture.
- Do not stand or sit in one position for too long.
- If in pain, Use a special neck pillow for sleeping.
Chiropractic is effectively proven for the Neck Pain Treatment. Chiropractic practitioner will guide you through the treatment plan according to your neck pain type and cause.